Friday, August 7, 2009

The New York Lists

My native New Yorker co-workers think it's SOOOO funny that I didn't know that "NO STANDING" actually means "NO PARKING." I mean, comparable to the Dead Dog Story funny. It amuses them to no end. I don't quite understand why they are just so amused by it, but it does bring to mind the first item on the below list:

Things I Will Miss About New York City:

1. any social gaff or faux paus can easily be explained away with a coy smile and the simple statement "I'm from Indiana." I'm pretty sure that will hold NO weight in Utah. But, on the other hand, there will probably be significantly fewer opportunities to expose my ignorance there.

2. This may be vain and politically incorrect, but I love walking around in my neighborhood and being so, shall we say, "verbally adored." Being blonde doesn't garnish much attention in Utah. White guys don't tell you that you're beautiful, just because they see you walking down the street and they think it.

3. Nine JCrews, 14 Banana Republics, 4 Esprits, 8 Ann Taylor Lofts, 3 Anthropologies, 10 H&Ms. (Did I ever tell you about December 26, 2006? I managed to work ten hours and still hit the after-Christmas sales at 4 different JCrews. Where else in the world could you pull that off?)

4. The lovely social aspect of the subway system in two ways: 1. really, truly being amidst and among your fellow city-dwellers, 2: it extends most social events--you ride there with your friends and then ride the subway together back home. Your event doesn't begin and end in the parking lot, but you spend your travel time with your people too.

5. Driving back into the city from anywhere. Seriously, the city skyline takes my breath away every single time.

6. People selling fruit on just about every street corner.

7. Being surrounded by water on all sides. It is so so so lovely to drive down the highways that run on either side of the island. I LOVE the views of the Hudson and of the Harbor from my office too. And, of course, we're close to the beach.

8. Thinking/praying/meditating/studying time on the subway.

9. Being one subway ride away from just about anything you could possibly think of.

10. Rooftop dance parties.

11. Any little patch of green anywhere is beautifully landscaped and perfectly manicured. there are small little parks everywhere and the big parks are the most beautiful ones in the whole country.

12. Need I mention Broadway, ballet, opera, and Gray's Papaya hot dogs? (yes, they DO belong in a category together)

13. Free concerts somewhere every single day.

14. Walking around looking at the beautiful buildings and things.

15. Being surrounded by the type of people who want to live in New York City.

16. The hussle and bussel and wonderfulness of it all.

17. Flying to Europe takes the same amount of time as flying to LA.

18. Even if I have a non-prestigious job, I am accounted a success just because I live in Manhattan.

19. Did I tell you about the time I saw Keanu Reeves on the subway? No? That's because that sort of stuff happens all the time and isn't worth reporting

20. Subway dancers


Now, just to be fair and objective:

Things I Will NOT Miss About New York City:

1. Dealing with mice and cockroaches

2. Waiting and waiting for the subway to come on the weekend or late at night when they're on weird schedules and I'm sooo thirsty and soo tired and just want to BE HOME ALREADY.

3. Having to carry anything I want to eat or use (potatoes, watermelon, toilet paper, furniture) up the four flights of stairs to my apartment.

4. Feeling like it's a little miracle every time my car is still there where I left it and without a ticket.

5. Not being able to have a white comforter on my bed because it's by a window that I keep open and it will turn gray in two days.

6. As lovely as only paying $89/month for all my travel expenses (and I don't even pay for it--my work does), getting places on the subway does take a lot of time. So something like a trip to Home Depot or Target will take up 100% of your free time for an evening.

7. Don't believe it when they say it's the city that never sleeps--it will take you at least 45 minutes to get to a store open after 10pm. I mean, those stores exist, but there aren't too many of them, so you'll have to take the subway and if it's after 10pm, the subways aren't running as often. Give me one good 24 hour grocery store any day (and even my little hometown in Indiana has several)

8. It is an unbelievable hassle to get to the airport, especially if you have more than one bag. On multiple occasions getting from the airport to my home has taken more time than my entire flight.

9. Even the most simple weekend get-away requires renting a car which makes it hard to plan and expensive. So even though we're surrounded by really beautiful nature areas, I have only been camping 2 or 3 times the three years I've lived here.

10. Being a Republican in Utah is going to be boring.


And yet, when all is said and done, I will miss Manhattan so much. Even though I'm excited for my upcoming adventures, I am so so so sad to leave. But I am sure it is all going to be for the best.

2 comments:

Happy Herrons said...

We are excited you are coming to live in the semi-square state (in more ways than one)

Connie said...

Holly, I sooo identify with your NYC sentiments, they echo my own! Despite the annoyances of living in a chaotic city, my heart yearns for it, and all the beautiful people that adorn it, such as yourself. Let's get together when you get back to Utah, would love to see your smiling face! yogacookie@gmail.com and blog is yogacookie.blogspot.com.