Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Car Report

Tuesday 16 June: I decide I want to buy a car and recruit Marcus, my go-to guy for all things involving wheels, to help.

Thursday 18 June: after a discouraging trip to a shady car dealership in Jersey, Marcus and I set an intention for exactly what we wanted: a 4-door Honda Civic with automatic transmission made between 1998 and 2003 with low miles and within my budget.

Friday 19 June: first thing in the morning, Marcus finds on-line the exact car we had outlined

Saturday 20 June: by 11am, I have the title of said perfect car in my hands.


Monday 22 June: I have managed to get myself insured and registered and put my license plate on my car so I can move it out of the church garage where I have had it some-what illegally parked since Saturday. My first attempt at driving my car (Marcus had done all the test driving), was to take Marcus back to his apartment. I manage to make him swear only one time. Then, after only 40 minutes of looking, I manage to get it parked on the street.

Tuesday 23 June: I drive a friend to the airport at 3 am. After 70 minutes of looking for parking and only 90 minutes of sleep, I pay to park in a garage

Wednesday 24 June: I have to work, but my car takes my roommate to the beach without me

Saturday 27 of June: Road trip to Philadelphia!! Upon arriving home around midnight, I find a lovely parking spot in just about 10 minutes and joyfully skip home.

Monday 29 June: A Day That Will Live in Infamy
10:30am--I go to check on my car before work and it's not there. I feel strangely calm and very clearly feel prompted that everything is going to be okay. I don't know (and still don't know) exactly what they means/meant, but I feel with my whole soul that it is true.
11:30--after checking 3 different places to make sure my car wasn't towed, a policeman tells me I need to call 911 and report it stolen.
12:00pm-- I get to fulfill a life goal of riding in the back of a squad car when the police take me to look for broken glass at the scene of the crime and then back to the station to fill out the paperwork
1:00 Exactly one week and three hours after leaving my State Farm Insurance office with my temporary card, telling the agent "Hopefully everything is fine with my car and I'll never see you again," I am back informing them of the robbery. I receive the happy surprise of my life upon being told that I do, in fact, have full coverage. I don't know how that happened, but I am so so so thankful.
2:30 pm I'm back at work telling the tale.

So, that's the story. I owned my first car for eight days. Now it's gone. Gone like a freight train. Gone like yesterday. Gone like a soldier in the Civil War.

I'm sad because it was such a good car. I'm sad because I had to cancel my trips to Boston and Ghettysburg. I'm sad because now I can't go on the road trip with my mom to South Dakota to visit her cousins.

But mostly I just feel at peace. For some reason I feel very protected and watched over by Heavenly Father. Usually I'm so tight with my money and I get so frustrated about wasting any. And normally I second guess myself about decisions. But in this circumstance, for some reason I just don't feel upset about either of those things. I don't know why things worked out this way after I feel like received the confirmation that buying a car here would be a good option, but I don't feel like I need to know. I just know that God is over all things and that He is watching over me. I know that everything is, and will be, fine. I'm thankful to know that God loves me and is taking care of me. I'm glad that my family is okay and I'm okay. As far as stinky life things that happen, this is a fairly minor one and I'm thankful for that.

Also, I want to sincerely thank those of you who already know about recent loss and who have been so kind and supportive to me. I really appreciate you. Your kind words and tokens have meant a lot to me.

9 comments:

Meg Ruth said...

I'm so sorry! What a sad story! I'm glad you got to enjoy it a little though.

Tamara said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea! I'm so sorry Holly!

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your car! I too own a Honda Civic made between 1998-2003 (2000) and would be very sad if it were stolen. Don't give up on cars! I'm sure you were a very good driver, just as you were in high school.

Happy Herrons said...

Stupid car thiefies! Are you getting everything back on your insuranace fundage? Because that woudd be sweet. Hey, if we adopt triplets, you can come live with us, be the nanny and drive the sexy red mini van!

Sally said...

Holly, that's horrible!! I was so excited for all your adventures. So how does the insurance thing work? Do they pay it off for you or are you hoping for another car??

momma street said...

Cousin Holly! I am so sorry! What an adventure to add to your life story! One you'd rather not have, but glad you are safe and no one took you AND the car!! What will you do now?? Get a BIG dog that can live in the next car. Good luck!

stacey said...

yikes! seriously, that super sucks. i can't believe that happened!! that only happens in the movies, right?? what will you do now? ps, atleast you don't have to drive around/pay for parking now??

Liz H. said...

this is so crazy, holly! i am sorry! i hope the insurance gives you lots of $$! and that you don't have to deal with the insurance company very much ...

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://bexoqahud.easyfreehosting.com/wulehyr.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich