Friday, October 26, 2007

Life-Improving Discoveries

Here are two things that I love: 1) fun and exciting new discoveries 2) anything that makes my life better or easier. So you can imagine my joy when these two things merge. Here are some recent examples.

1. Sleeping in the middle of my bed.
In August of 2006, I bought myself a queen size bed. For most of the past year, the part of my bed I don't sleep in has typicallly been used as a sort of storage unit. Recently having moved into and organized my very own room (yay!!), i got my life sorted out to the point that it is just ME in my bed every night. No storage. Just me. Almost always. For several weeks after getting things organized, i was enjoying choosing which side of my bed to sleep on every night, until one day--out of nowhere--it occured to me, I could sleep in the MIDDLE. It did cause a slight pillow problem, but that was easily enough overcome. And let me tell you, I had no idea the levels of emotional stress caused by the subconscious effort to keep one's arms in the bed until the need was taken away. Sleeping in the middle of my bed is awesome!! Too bad I didn't discover this earlier. If I ever get around to it, I will post a picture of my bed. (PS I make my bed every morning now too. How very adult of me.)

2. Wearing make-up prevents acne. True story. I refer specifically to foundation. So happy to know that foundation helps you look better superficially in the here and now, but also in the long-term non-superficial (couldn't find the antonym) way.

3. At work, when retrieving my voice mails, if I hit "1", it will play the last 5 seconds again. Brilliant!! Life=better.

4. Also at work, when entering a date in the current year in the main computer program, if entering a date in the current year, I don't have to type the year!!! That's right--if I type 1025, it will show up 10/25/07. Oh the keystrokes I will save!!

5. Polyphonic sounds. That is the esoteric music term for two sounds happening at once: ie--whistling and humming at the same time. I saw someone do it--one mouth, one time, two sounds. It was pretty darn cool. So darn cool, i would go so far as to say, it improved my life.

1 comment:

Amy said...

If you like polyphonic sound, you should watch this documentary called Ghengis Blues. It's about a blind man who becomes a Tuvan throat singer. It's really, really good.