Thursday, December 6, 2007

Dry Eyes, Warm Heart? My first day of unemployment

Other titles considered for this post:
-I wore jeans
-"An experience so unique it define mere words"


It has been such a time of whirlwind adventures, I don't even know where to start. Well to simplify, I will make this blog entry in outline form (sorry the formating below is so weird--I cut and pasted from Word)
1.
Goodbye party with co-workers

a. Lovely ice cream cake and very kind words from my co-workers

b. Super funny cards

i. “Don’t leave me with this people!”

ii. “Before you leave, just know…we only talk about people who aren’t here”

iii. (also very kind words in the cards)

c. pressure because I think some of my co-workers might be reading my blog now, since I made and handed out cards with my contact info (including my blog) at said party

d. I love you guys!!! I'll miss you!! Here's a picture of me waving goodbye (courtesy of Lois)

2. Celebratory Play that Evening

a. Title: The Last Jew in Europe

b. My review: This is the best I can do: it was bad. Mind-blowingly bad. I find it almost impossible to put my thoughts and feelings about this play together, which is fitting since the writer/director seemed to have the same problem. It just was weird and made no sense, but not in that intentional way. It was $23 worth of funny, but that is not what they were going for.

c. Professional review from the poster outside: “So unique it defines mere words.” I really think that about wraps it up.

3. My plea: Please do NOT go. I really don’t want to encourage them to make anything else like this.

4. Celebratory Brunch of Unemployment Freedom Thursday Morning

a. With non-traditionally employed friends who were available at 11 am on a work day

b. Made potato latkes in celebration of Chanukah

c. A good time was had by all

5. Ophthalmologist visit

a. My regular readers know this has been an on-going problem for me

b. Must use my insurance before my coverage lapses December 31st

c. Got a referral and saw a non-quack. He inspired confidence.

d. Got to do a test that involved sitting still for five minutes with two white strips attached to my bottom of my eye. It was fun--whoever knew that such a thing existed. Also, my eyes got yellow dye (different test)

e. Diagnosis: eye dryness combined with seasonal allergies produces the bumps. Also possible contact intolerance, which is what I’ve been experiencing lately. I was given a lubricating prescription

f. Interesting fact: eye dryness and mouth dryness go together.

6. Off to be trained for temp job tomorrow—only one day of unemployment!

6 comments:

PP said...

Hey there Holly! Who would have thought that you had a blog! OMGoodness. It looks as if you're doing well. I'm surprised that you're into Walt Whitman. I love him. I didn't care too much for Michael Cunningham's Specimen Days, but maybe you'd read it if you were a real Whitman buff. Enjoy unemployment. I know I am. Muhuhuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

rachel said...

you're not really unemployed. unemployment is hard work and i would know.

Kelly said...

Holly! I can't believe I found you! Remember me? I know it's been a while. I'm secretly an internet stalker, looking for anything interesting about anyone I used to know in my past. Anyway, I have a blog, too! jeremyandkelly.blogspot.com. Email me at kellylundy@yahoo.com and I will add you to my list of "approved" readers! :)

Kelly said...

Holly! I can't believe I found you! Remember me? I know it's been a while. I'm secretly an internet stalker, looking for anything interesting about anyone I used to know in my past. Anyway, I have a blog, too! jeremyandkelly.blogspot.com. Email me at kellylundy@yahoo.com and I will add you to my list of "approved" readers! :)

Tamara said...

Hooray for Holly!!!
You know what? You're pretty much my biggest motivator these days and... well. Wow. I really just cannot describe how wonderful I think you are.
:)

Jas said...

Do you mean "defies" or "defines" when you wrote, "An experience so unique it define mere words?"