Saturday, December 12, 2009

Why My Life Is Awesome

Can you believe it's been one month since my last post? Crazy! Well, a lot has happened in that time to turn my life from being "totally awesome" into "practically perfect in every way." I will tell you about them in the order in which they came into my life.

1. The Perfect Boyfriend

A lot of you have heard about my new fella. Yes, Michael and I decided to become exclusive this month. This is the only picture I have of the two of us together. We are ice skating at his office Christmas party:

Now to satiate your curiosity, I will answer the most commonly asked questions about him and our relationship. But be warned-- I am only writing the answers, you will have to figure out the questions yourself.

Online. Manufacturing engineer. 6"2'. Sacramento. Yes, in Ecuador. 31. No, he's never been married. Yes, that is old for a Mormon-- at least in Utah. Not anytime too soon--neither of us want to feel rushed. Yes Dad, he makes me happy and takes very good care of me.

2. The Perfect Job

I have accepted a position at a wonderful for-profit private school based on the philosophies of Ayn Rand-- a match made in heaven for me. They teach children to be clear-minded, self-sufficient, independent-thinking conceptual thinkers. I am totally impressed by their program and love being a part of it. I was hired as a jack-of-all trades so I can learn all about the different aspects of the school and become sufficiently indoctrinated without being pigeon-holed into one career path. From there, they will see which direction they want to promote me.

I had my second interview with them on Monday. I taught preschoolers about deer and 3rd graders about the Wright Brothers. They offered me the job immediately thereafter and asked me to start the next day. I told the headmaster (yes, we have one) I'd have to think about it for a few hours, but since it was exactly the job I had my heart set on, it was an easy decision.

Since accepting the position, I have had to cancel three other interviews and refuse to schedule two others that were offered.

Also with this job, I get two weeks off from Christmas and don't have to work during the summer unless I want to.


3. The Perfect House


My first commute the 25 minutes to work came the morning after a huge snow storm. The highways had not been plowed. I came within 6 inches of having a head-on collision on I-15 (not my fault). Even though I was lucky because there is considerably less traffic commuting out of Salt Lake than in, I was still 30 minutes late to work on my first day and my nerves were fried. I decided that I would NOT be doing that all winter and I would just have to move to Sandy (which, conveniently enough, is also where Michael lives, although this was NOT the reason for the move. seriously--weren't you paying attention?!! I was almost killed commuting!).

After two days of searching I was blessed to procure for myself the MOST PRECIOUS tiny little cottage in Draper 4 miles from my work. Please notice the ivy climbing up the walls:

It is very small (600 square feet) but is completely sufficient for my needs. Since it's tiny it will be cheap to heat. It is on a beautiful road with grand old houses with Christmas lights. It feels and sounds like the country even though it is not far from Draper Parkway. The yard area is huge and there's even a place for a garden that is irrigated! There's a washer and dryer. I only pay for power and gas. I can paint and the landlord will even pay for it! The bedroom closet is twice as big as my current one. It's only two miles from the Draper temple. Starting in February, I will have my own garage to park in and store stuff! And it is ALL MINE!!

As much as I like having roommates, I am so so so excited to have my own place!! ALL the food in the refrigerator will be mine! I can keep as much stuff as I want in the freezer! I can have fresh garlic AND the jarred stuff! I will not feel guilty for leaving my dishes! I can walk around in my underwear! I can play music whenever I want! I will always have the best parking space! I won't have to coordinate with anyone regarding when I can be in the shower!

I am going to have so much fun decorating and turning it into my perfect little home.

Yes indeed, life is good.

12 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh! This is a great update!
Ecuador is also where Evan served. So Michael gets my extra thumbs up. Not that I have more than two thumbs... so... I have no idea how that would make sense at all...

I'm excited to see updates about the cute house!

Sally said...

We have much to catch up on!! OMG...what a wonderful life! You are going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE living on your own more than you know. It's the best thing EVER!!!! So you love your job but does it pay like you were looking for?

Sharon said...

What a wonderful update!!! I'm so glad everything is going so well in your life, Michael looks like a catch, Go HOLLY!! Oh, the school you work out sounds awesome, I love the "for profit" part, I guess because I love Ayn Rand!

Happy Herrons said...

YAH!!! I also had a wonderful cottage at one point so I know you will have a marvelous time. It is nice to have all your own space. Yah for everything!

Heather said...

Welcome back to blogging. Way to keep your ovaries at bay. come play!!!

merebuff said...

So happy for you! So many things going wonderfully all at once! I served in Ecuador as well...(Guayaquil South 98-99) Can't wait to hear more about the school, because I am thinking of taking an education work-path myself.

Kate said...

I am so excited about your little house! I mean, everything in this post was very exciting, but ivy-covered walls?? Some things just win. Congratulations!

Deibel Family said...

I can't wait to see you again at Christmas--so glad you're coming out. A Bluemlein party isn't a party without Holly. I love your cottage--and it is wonderful to walk around the house in your underwear (I only get to do that once the kiddos are tucked in bed). I'd like to hear more about your school since Matt and I keep toying with the idea of moving to Utah some day and are wondering about the education out there, but I guess I can hear about it in person next week. Drive safe!

Rebekah said...

I'm happy you're happy AND happy I get to read about it.

Kimpossible said...

Old Motto: Things work out on Thursdays!

New Motto: Things work out when you follow the spirit (see above to witness the miracles in Holly's life when she took a great leap of faith...things work out indeed!)

Janie said...

Woo hoo!!! He looks nice (as nice as you can in a picture, I guess). Congrats on the job and all the wonderful happenings in your life!!!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion here someone has gone in cycles