Friday, October 29, 2010

Did I ever tell you about the time I was mistaken as a prostitute?

Subtitle: Happy Halloween!

I got to wear my Halloween costume to work today, which I have never done before and it is fun. This is the third Halloween in a row I've dressed as a Catholic school girl. Why? Because it's the third Halloween in a row that I've lived in a new city, so I don't have to bother coming up with a new idea. Plus, I already have all of the stuff.

My first year in this costume was my last Halloween in Manhattan.


Whenever I put on my costume I remember this story and it makes me smile.


I was walking down Broadway on my way home from a Halloween party when a passing car honked and waved at me. Figuring it must be a friend who had also just left the party (it was late enough that there weren't many cars on the street), I waved back. The car pulled over, so I went to see who it was. He unrolled the passenger window (just like on the movies) and I went to talk to him but quickly discovered it was not someone I knew. His English wasn't very good, so I couldn't exactly tell what he was getting at, but it was obvious he wanted me to get in his car. That wasn't going to happen, so I just walked off. The next day I realized what had happened. I was walking down the street in a school girl outfit the day after Halloween and he thought I was turning tricks. I want to clarify that I was dressed 100% totally modestly. The whole thing is very amusing to me, and I don't mind telling you I count being mistaken as a sex worker among my life achievements.


Now, here's a picture of some of my totally awesome co-workers.

2 comments:

Liz H. said...

love this story :)

Happy Herrons said...

I am glad you could recycle your costume! Come and visit sometime!!