Friday, December 17, 2010

NOT overly personal

Well, since the break-up, a general sense of malaise has settled over my life. I know it's for the best and I'm confident (most of the time) that I made the right decision, but I'm just sad. It's probably especially potent because of the switch from floating on a happy cloud of love, straight to sad.

Anyways, I have been learning a lot and I think I've figured some good stuff out. I realize I'd subconsciously made the decision not to process any of my thoughts on my blog out of respect for Tyler. (I realize now that I was able to vent and process on my blog after Michael because by the time it was over I didn't have much respect for him anymore. Also because I knew he wasn't emotionally invested enough to care. The fink.)


So I'm trying to work on my house, but am having a hard time with it due to all the other demands on my time. I will tell you the updates on each room as I finish it. The bedroom is coming close! We've (meaning I've) run into a bit of a problem with the living room-- I've decided it needs to be refinished ("finished" would probably be a better word since there is currently no finishing on it as far as I can tell). So everything else has been postponed until that gets done. Well, not everything, but the living room for sure. And I've decided to give up on the kitchen until everythign else is done. However, I am doing the pantry-- wall at least the walls, but not the floor (even though they desperately need some attention).


So that's my life right now. Rather unexciting, mostly because I'm still in mourning and thus not creating much excitement for myself. But, I'm planning for future fun adventures and excitement to do once I'm feeling more like myself.


Oh wait! I have been having adventures: for example, I went to the Swedish Christmas Smorgasborg at Ikea. As I told a co-worker, "This is the thing I'm most excited about for this month. Christmas is this month-- I don't care. My birthday is this month-- I don't care. I am most excited about the Swedish Smorgasborg at Ikea." And it did not disappoint! Here's a pictures of little children on parade in their traditionally Swedish garb. St. Lucia even made an appearance and sang. Also, the food was really fun and extraordinarily plentiful. I totally felt Swedish.
Also, here's a picture of the sorting of my food storage going on as prep for the pantry re-model

And a pic of the beginning of the painting of my bedroom. (Why doesn't my new carpet have any protection on it?!!!). You can't tell from this picture, but I'm actually painting over some other blue paint that I didn't like.
So, as you can see, my house, like my life, is a work in process. And I'm beginning to think that my house, like my life, might not be finished until I'm dead =)

5 comments:

Kate said...

I was totally at an Ikea on the night of their Christmas Party and decided not to partake. It looks like I missed out.

Also, I don't know if you have a blanket policy on all R-Rated movies, but if you could get your hands on an edited copy of - or perhaps just a good synopsis of - the movie Life as a House this particular blog post reminded me a great deal of that movie. It's a beautiful metaphor for life. Maybe someday when I actually visit Utah instead of talking all about how I'm going to visit Utah someday I will be able to help you work on some of these projects!

Kate said...

By "blanket" policy I mean of course a personal rule about not watching anything rated R ever. Not anything to do with actual blankets.

Tamara said...

Oh... the house - as with life - is ALWAYS a work-in-progress. You're awesome.
I hope your birthday ends up as awesome as your house is looking. :)

Heather said...

Your house is coming on fine and on a side note, so is your life!

Sally said...

I'm so glad I am no longer the only one who thinks Michael is a fink! Down with jerks!

On to better things, you are amazing. This new year will be a great year for you. You house is coming along great, so maybe new improvements I haven't seen.

Way to feel Swedish! What a fun event.

You go cousin!