Monday, March 31, 2008

Food Storage!!!



I know, two posts in one day--crazy! But I want to make an official record of my commitment to compile a 3 month food storage. (I know, I know, all my blogs are about food lately. I've been thinking on this and have come to some interesting conclusions, but those will have to wait to be blogged about until later, if ever).

One of the things that finally clicked with me is the idea of storing what I actually eat! (because quite frankly, I've always been a little intimidated by just regular wheat) This way it is stuff that I actually use and is also therefore totally easy to rotate. This is what I"m going to store: canned tuna, salmon (which I don't normally buy because I consider it too expensive, but now that I think about it when it's on sale it is still cheaper then tuna), dry beans (which I have recently started using frequently), brown rice, sugar (white and brown), flour, cream of chicken soup, pasta, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce etc, canned veggies, peanut butter, jelly, crackers (which are not currently a part of my diet, but I will figure out how to rotate), oats, soy milk (I switched from the cow stuff last week which is convenient because this stores better--it's good for 9 months without refrigeration), legumes (I haven't started eating these regularly yet, but intend to), garlic (in a jar--I can't live without it), dehydrated onions, salt, baking soda and powder, some sort of drink powder with Vitamin C.

This is the plan: there's storage placed above my closet and i can make some more under my bed, plus my kitchen space can be used more effectively once I get this organized. I will start buying in bulk (more so then I do now) when things go on sale or when I"m at a store that has certain things cheap. I will set up a store in my closet. I will keep the stuff that I'm using in the kitchen and as I use it, replace it from the storage. All purchased canned and dry good will go directly into storage. It's so simple.

Oh my heck, I am excited!

Thank you for bearing with me during my official, public declaration of intent.

PS (added the next morning) It occurred to me there are other non-food items that I would not like to run out of and will therefore store: deodorant, saline solution, lotion, soap, toothpaste, etc. I love storage!!

5 comments:

Amber A. said...

Holly,
I'm excited for you and your new food storage initiative. I had the same excited sensation when I started. My excitement wore off a bit but it still lingers. Thanks for updating about your job. I'm glad things are going well.

Happy Herrons said...

I am so glad you are food storag-ing! But note: brown rice has a much shorter rice than white rice - why most all food storage programs suggest white rice.

Hillary said...

Your commitment to food storage is so impressive. i miss all of you in Inwood 3rd. I'm so glad you're liking your new job and you've inspired me to learn how to bake a heart shaped cake.

Sally said...

Hello cousin Holly! How is the big NY? I stole your email address from your sisters. I feel so much closer to you now! Brian and I want to come visit NY. I'm not sure when but are you up for some visitors? Have much fun with your food storage! I love our storage room. I like to organize so it's my favorite room in the house. Hope life is marvelous.

Heather said...

I agree with the whole wheat food storage that tainted a generation of families. I recently as well had the thought that food storage did not have to involve cracked wheat cereal...but happy cold cereal such as Honey Bunches of Oats!
You go girl!