Friday, September 21, 2007

All the way home: How I spent my Rosh Hashanah

I decorated our door for the occasion
(I knew someday my college Hebrew would pay off)

Happy Rosh Hashanah!! Working for a Jewish company and all, I got Thursday and Friday off. And since the Jewish people are smart enough to start their holidays at sunset, we even got to leave two hours early from work Wednesday. I was planning on going to an off-Broadway show with my free time, but since none of them had Wednesday evening shows, I decided to walk all the way home instead. You know, just to see if I could do it and how long it would take. But I'm embarrassed to admit that it took about 3 1/2 hours to walk the almost 10 miles home. I'm glad to know I can do it (even in just ballet flats) and it was fun. And walking through the entire upper west side reminded me that I'm not the only blonde in Manhattan (you just don't see many in Washington Heights or in the non-profit sector) and that there ARE white children here.

Thursday and Friday were days of wonderful laziness and recuperation. It was so nice to relax.

Friday night, I finally got to fulfill a life-long dream of hosting a Jewish celebration. I had a lot of fun preparing traditional Rosh Hashanah foods and having friends over. I prepared apples and honey (according to the Jewish ladies at work, this is hands down the most important thing for Rosh Hashanah--to celebrate the sweetness of the new year), an apple pie, and challah. I bought a jar of gefilte fish, lots of grape juice, and a large chocolate bar (to complement the sweetness theme).




A documenting-worthy apple with the side coming out of the bottom. I put it in the pie.

I am so proud of my challah!!! I had to learn how to braid four pieces. No prob!
aiusdfasdf














Here is a picture of me with the final spead in my Russian Jew-looking head scarf that is actually from Indonesia

1 comment:

Amy said...

Holly, so fun to see all your pictures. You look so great! You're so skinny and cute!