Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Freak Show and free hats

Who among us hasn't been to a singles ward that has warranted the title "Freak Show." Well, I'm sure all of you will be relieved to know that this great nation of ours does still have one official bona fide freak show left. It's in Coney Island and I've been.

(in case you're wondering, the girl in the picture is not me, but my friend Corina. I know it's hard to tell in the hat, we'll talk about that later)

For a mere six dollars, Corina and I were able to see ten acts of various levels of freakiness. My favorite was the heavily tattooed fire-eating freak show diva having a tantrum and storming off in the middle of her act. Other favorites include the incredibly hairy man, the sword swallower, and the man who put a nail into his forehead. Least favorite was the snake charmer AKA animal fornicator right there on stage. There were others that don't warrant remembering (it has been almost a month).

But previous to the freak show, we enjoyed a lovely day at Coney Island and Brighton Beach (AKA Little Russia) where we enjoyed yummy Russian food and perfect beach weather. Corina was also able to flirt us some free hats from a street vendor. And may I add that they are ideal beach hats.

No comments: