Monday, September 22, 2008

The Nation's Capital

Last last weekend I went to Washington DC for one friend's wedding and another friend's triathlon.
It was an interesting experience because it was the first time I really realized just how much my rhythm is set to New York. Well, let me just say DC is NOT New York. I almost got myself killed several times (apparently cars yielding to pedestrians in all situations is not a cultural universal). Also, I realized that it is not appropriate to get frustrated at the tourists and walk around them mumbling about out-of-towners when you are, in all actuality, a tourist yourself and there's a good chance the person walking at a mind-numblingly slow pace right in front of you is a native.

It was also a reminder of just how hellish it is to get into and out of the city:
From Washington DC to Newark NJ (where we rented the car):
Distance: 220 miles
Travel time: 3.5 hours

From Newark NJ to my apartment:
Distance: 20 miles
Travel time: 2.5 hours

But it's all worth it. And there's not a city I'd rather be in rhythm with. P.S. It's also much harder to find soy milk in DC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN!!! New York City rules! DC is nice to visit but New York is home.

Tamara said...

I love and miss NYC so don't get me wrong when I say, DC Rocks!!! Being my hometown I am allowed to feel this way:)