Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another blog entry that does not actually say what I've been up to lately (which is really too bad because I've been having lots of fun adventures)

This morning on the subway I was delighted to be in the same car with my very favorite subway preacher. It was not this guy My subway preacher is a very large, very buff black man. I see him in the subway about once a month. He has a duffle bag full of food for anyone who needs he. He offers food, asks for money to continue his mission and then preaches about being saved. He walks back and forth shouting the good word yelling an occasional hallelujah. I usually give him some money and then put away my reading and listen to him. I really like what he has to say and I love the passion he has about it.

I realize that if I were not a Christian who had personally experience what he preaches about I would probably think he was crazy. I always think about this when I see a street preacher: if an Islamic person were to act that way they would almost certainly be locked up--either at a jail or a hospital. Can you imagine a very large black man jumping around the subway saying "Accept Allah or go to hell!"? or even "Allah doesn't want you to go to hell, he wants to save you from it"? Oh man, it would be a bad situation for that unfortunate preacher. I wonder if that is caused by our prejudice against the Islam or by society's dedication to the Christian faith of our fathers (because non-religious people would be just as upset about it I think).

But listening to my favorite Christian preacher makes me happy. And then when I got off the train the calypso drum player in the subway station was playing "Israel Israel God is Calling." We must have stolen the tune from some famous source because I hear it once in awhile and it seems the Caribbeans have made it their own. It made me super happy.

In other news, the attorneys today are in an uproar because it has been discovered that the building does not actually recycle the paper we separate. Apparently there was a recycling email sent around about 2 years ago establishing the guidelines for recycling and that email, if found by the attorneys, would establish a reasonable expectation that a recycling program was in place and the lack of it therefore constitutes fraud. (I just remembered that I never actually typed the blog I wrote in my head about going green, which is too bad because I even had photos. This would make a lot more sense if I had. Oh well.)

I love New York.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Welcome back to the blog world. When do you get your computer back? Interesting about the paper.