Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Me!!

Last month marked my three year anniversary in New York City. I giggle to myself at what a stupid, inexperienced, silly little girl I was when I arrived. To celebrate the growth I've made, here are some random ways I've grown, things I didn't know, ways I've changed, etc since arriving in New York City.

1. I didn't know the difference between natural and synthetic fibers
2. I couldn't tell the difference between high and low quality anything (shoes, suits, etc)
3. I'd never had goat cheese.
4. I didn't know people could tell the difference between butter and margarine (turns out most people can tell just by sight).
5. I'd never been to Europe
6. I'd never set foot in a JCrew and never purchased anything at Banana Republic (I have charge cards for both now)
7. I'd never been to, or even heard of, Ikea.
8. I could be wrong, but I don't believe I'd ever been cat-called before. Certainly I never had been on a regular basis.
9. I couldn't recognize basil by sight, smell, or taste. Now I just can't keep them alive.
10. I'd never been to a concert
11. I'd never paid a utilities bill
12. I'd never eaten or heard of gnocchi, pierogi, pad thai, or masala
13. The sight of a mouse would send me screaming and running into another room to stand on a chair

This is very much an incomplete list, but I don't want to get too wordy, so I'll just go ahead and publish it now. If I think of a really good one, I'll add it later.

6 comments:

Liz H. said...

i love this. i should write up a list like this too...

merebuff said...

I am so glad that I was there for your first trip to Ikea and first concert.

Fun times!

Sally said...

You need to totally keep adding to the list! Way to go New York Cousin!

Rebecca said...

an interesting thought...how have i changed since coming to New York? I love reading about your life and thoughts. it's a major pick me up for me. the mouse story was great. what are you doing june 27th? (a saturday morning?)

Rebecca said...

Impressive list. And impressive mouse story. Glad that got resolved before anyone took drastic measures!

Just Julie said...

Hey Holly, Love the list, mostly because I could relate to many of the things on it. Maybe I should create a list about how I grew and changed from living in the city.

I hear you're moving out of the city--and coming to Utah. As someone who recently did that I'll tell ya that I miss the city every day. Good luck!