Sunday, July 12, 2009

Everything Is Beautiful at the Ballet

I'm not sure as to the how, why, or when, but lately the idea has come to me that I am a big, big fan of the ballet and just never knew it. So, I decided to test my hypothesis with a trip to the America Ballet Theatre's Production of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. It turns out (and I love when I can say this)I was right! I do love the ballet.



Why, oh why, could I have not discovered this earlier?

It turns out that every night of a ballet performance has different people dancing the leads (in ballet terms "principle"), so every show is a little different even though the choreography is the same. The fellow I stood next to for the first act (after that, I moved from my standing room ticket that I paid $26 for to the seats directly in front of me which sale for $103) had seen the performance three times! And it only ran for one week. (The week the ABT was doing Giselle, he saw every single show!) I could have done that. Oh well.

I love when I discover another one of the beautiful things about life. So many things to be thankful for!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You know, SLC has a decent ballet company -- Ballet West. I'm not sure if it's up there with NYC ballet, but it was better than what we found in CA, surprisingly.