Wednesday, September 9, 2009

First Day of the Rest of My Life

I'm back in the "city" (ha ha ha) now, and my new life is going even better than I had hoped.

It turns out we have a totally awesome grapevine in full bloom in the backyard, so of course (since this is exactly the kind of thing I do now that I'm living it up country girl style), I decided to can grape juice. It was my first ever solo canning experience and it went GREAT!!

Grapes on the vine:

A close-up (can you even believe how perfectly beautiful they are?)--

There were lots and lots of grapes. Just to put things into perspective, this bowl when de-vined contained about four cups:

Here they are in the hot water bath. Luckily, a pressure cooker was not needed because, in addition to not having access to one, I am deathly afraid of them. I could only do three jars at a time, but it worked out pretty well. Thank goodness I decided to bring my trusty, much-loved stock pot with me to my new life.

And the glorious finished project:

There are so many people I'd like to thank:
Thank you Ashley for discovering the grapes.
Thank you Ashley's mom for giving me the jars.
Thank you Mom for being available throughout the day to answer questions.

And, just to make life even better, I was able to buy 12 more canning jars today, so I'll be able to make even more! Yippee for suburb living! Yipee for canning!!

3 comments:

Deibel Family said...

Yay, go you! I don't have a big canner either--my stock pot will fit four quarts, but they clack together and scare me that one will break while boiling.

I love, love, love the smell of grape juice canning. Reminds me of childhood. We'd spend three to four days making grape juice and then have to go to grandmas and pick and can hers.

Happy Herrons said...

Are there any left? My grape-vine friend said the longer they stay on the vine (until it almost freezes) they will be so sweet you can't even stand it! Where did you get the jars you canning lady! Are you going to come cheap shopping with us!!?!

Happy Herrons said...

Are there any left? My grape-vine friend said the longer they stay on the vine (until it almost freezes) they will be so sweet you can't even stand it! Where did you get the jars you canning lady! Are you going to come cheap shopping with us!!?!