Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Power of Intentions

Yesterday I got to spend the evening with an old friend. On the way home I stopped to get gas. While I was cleaning my windshield I heard a whistle. Not that unusual. So I looked up and saw a young man smiling at me. I smiled back.

"What a beautiful lady!"

I smiled at him again.

"Are you wearing a wedding ring?"

He looked like an okay sort of of guy.

"Nope."

"Do you date 25 year-olds in the church?"

He was walking towards me now so I could see that he had cute blonde curly hair, kind eyes, and had obviously just come from some sort of manly project building something.

"Both of those categories are acceptable to me."

"Maybe we could go out sometime?"

"Well, you could call me sometime."

"Great! Can I give you my number?"

"No. But I'll give you mine-- if you promise not to stalk me if I don't like you."

"No way. I'm a gentleman."

At this point, I would like to clarify that he wasn't buying gas or anything. He saw me as he drove by and specifically stopped and got out of his car with the hope that I would talk to him. We chatted for several minutes and then I left.

He texted me before I even got home.

That in and of itself is not necessarily important enough to warrant a blog post, but this is what makes it cool: I had spent the evening discussing with my friend various things including 1. why it's better to date 25 year-olds 2. why I want to be dating a contractor/construction worker of some sort (which he is) 3. how I am totally in my groove and since the break-up men have been coming out of the woodwork and that I was confident they would continue to do so. Just another example of how there is power in knowing what you want.

6 comments:

Heather said...

please tell me you did not give him your last name or where you live?

Holly said...

What am I, a novice? Of course I didn't give him my last name or address.

Liz H. said...

i love this story :) keep me posted on how it turns out!

Sally said...

Hubba - hubba! Wheet-woo (that's me whistling).

I totally love this story. I love the men coming out of the woodwork thing!

Go Holly, go Holly!

Deibel Family said...

He wasn't even buying gas? Dang Holly, you can stop traffic?! I knew you were awesome, but that is AWESOME!

Aaron and Maren Dennis said...

I didn't know that kind of thing happened in real life.