Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Old Before My Time

Subtitle: How does one spell "fogey"? Seriously, how? The only English word that sounds at all similiar is "vogue" and I can't imagine it's spelled similiarly.

It has come to me suddenly and repeatedly this week that I have become an old fogey. I have outlined several points clearly illustrated that I am no longer a spring chicken.

Point One:
To begin my swift descendent into old age, I discovered Monday that rock concerts are not to my liking. I went to my first rock concert (and note, it wasn't even REAL rock, just British pop) and although I had a very good time at the concert, I found the music and especially the crazy light effects were distasteful to me. The music, as a whole, was too grating and the crazy lighting hurt my eyes. I don't see how shining very bright lights directly into the eyes of the audience members is supposed to make the music more enjoyable. (Honestly, you can't tell me I don't sound like a 80 year old right now.) However, apparently the more young-at-heart surrounding me enjoyed it. I couldn't believe they weren't shielding their faces like I was. I kept thinking "Preserve your retinas people!"

Point Two:
The next morning I went to work and imagine my joy when I discovered that my food storage order from the Church had arrived!!! Honestly, I thought excitment of this magnitude regarding a non-personal-salvation issue church point wouldn't come until I was at least 40. (I'm sure it will amuse you to know that the pictures of canned wheat on the church website are copyrighted and thus cannot be downloaded to be used on my blog. So instead, here is a picture of my very own wheat and oats sitting in one of those coat closets at work waiting for me to take them to their new home.)

Point Three:
Then Tuesday I went and saw the movie Ironman which was very good and (dare I say it?) perhaps even emotionally satisfying. I really enjoyed it. But oh my goodness, it was intense! At points I was sure my poor nerves couldn't take it! I used to LOVE being stressed out during a movie, but now, although I did love the movie as a whole, I did not love the stressful parts.

Point Four:
Last night I had a very happy dream in which I went to the library and got a book I was excited about. And I woke up in a state of bliss because I thought that I was going to write an essay on the book for class when I was done. Is this what my fantasy life has come to?

Point Five:
I can't remember the name of the book I was excited about. A senior moment at 28.

Point Six:
I've spent all day listening to Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Point Seven:
Today, I started an 401(k). Which is actually quite exciting:(a self-potrait of me and my 401(k) explanation form)
So now I'll have plenty of money for when my body catches up with my mind and becomes old. Not that it really matters because I'll be super rich by then anyway.

3 comments:

Happy Herrons said...

You are so funny! I dream all the time that I am in a musical and I wake up so happy. But lately, my dream has been that I am IN a musical, but I forgot all my lines! Just this week, I didn't even go on stage (in my dream). Ugh!

Heather said...

Yaa for food storage. Welcome to old womanhood. Yaa for your 401! Way to take control of your future.

jeff said...

They have senior discounts for movies...maybe they have a "senior mindset discount" too. You should check it out. If you were REALLY an old fogey, though, you'd complain about there being too many previews instead of being disappointed when there are none.