Monday, January 26, 2009

In Defense of Mondays (or: Life is Good)

I am of the belief that one day is pretty much as good as any another. I mean, REALLY, is there that much of a difference between Monday or Thursday or Friday, or for that matter is Saturday really so soul-shakingly different? (Sundays are, of course, as ordained by The Lord, uniquely fabulous but we will not be discussing that here.)

This is why I bring this up: this morning, I said to someone at work "Good Morning! Happy Monday!" The idea of a "happy Monday" caused quite a stir. And I'll be frank, no one much liked the idea. Someone asked me what on earth I could be thinking and I said the first thing that popped into my head: "Monday marks the beginning of a new week to fill with things you love." I'd never thought of it that way, but I like it a lot.

Now I'm wondering why people dislike Mondays so much. I guess fundamentally it's because that means its five more days until the weekend. Does that mean that the work week (70% of your life) is merely something to be endured? Are the weekends the only days in life worth rejoicing in? Doesn't this reek of the "one day less to be living" mentality? It seems to me that disliking Mondays is synonymous with disliking life. And yet, there are so many Monday-haters and so few life-haters (I hope!), that I must be making false connections. I think most people probably just hate Mondays out of habit. But since Mondays do constitute nearly 15% of your mortal existence, it seems like it would be a good habit to break.

I have been thinking about this all day. I feel very much more dedicated to the idea of living and enjoying each day.

And I found this nice image on google:
Obviously there are some other Monday lovers (AKA lovers of life) out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea for Mondays! There is a security guard that I always see when I walk into the hospital in the morning and he always says "Happy Monday!" Of course he also says Happy Tuesday-Friday, but the point is he loves life and Mondays too. And I like Mondays. Besides aren't Mondays FHE night? That wound make them extra special!