Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Putting the "Party" in Politics

Obama has been president for one week now and, as Neil likes to remind me, I still have a job, money in the bank, and the government has not yet taken possession of my apartment. So that is nice.

In following with my resolution to be optimistic about Obama's presidency, I decided that the office needed to have a party to celebrate (or, if you prefer "observe") the inauguration. I got it authorized and put myself in charge of the event. Needless to say, the party was a rip-roaring success, despite technical difficulties. Because of the traffic jam on the information super highway caused by so many people trying to stream the event on-line we ended up having it as a multi-media extravaganza consisting of slow, choppy, delayed visuals on the big screen and sound on the radio. Listening to an important event on the radio made me feel connected with my ancestors, so that was nice.

All the co-workers were very generous with the treats they brought. They didn't even all fit on the table!

I will give the highlights of the party via conversations that took place.

On planning the party:
Me (to another secretary): The partners didn't give me a budget, so I don't how much money I can spend on the pizza
Left-leaning attorney: Oh, those things don't matter now that the Democrats are in charge!

On learning that we were having technical difficulties:
Attorney: What?! I'm not missing this for anything! I'm going home to watch it with my girl! (I'm not sure if he meant his wife or his daughter, but either way I think it was cute.)

As the people who really cared were leaving en masse to find a better venue:
Right-leaning attorney: So..... the Democrats are leaving, and the Republicans are going to stay here and eat all the food?

On Obama's speech:
Catholic attorney: I can't believe he's quoting from the Bible!
Me: But that scripture is in the Old Testament, not the New Testament. Everyone likes the Old Testament!
Jewish attorney: Yeah, a sequel is never as good as the original.

On the yummy food:
Secretary: I'd love the recipe for this quiche.
French attorney who brought the quiche: Well, I'd have to translate it.

On seeing pictures of the First Family in the newspapers in the next day:
Me (to myself): Sasha is totally my new fashion icon! (I already have the pink coat. I just need the orange scarf and gloves! Love it!)

And just in case you haven't seen this totally hilarious clip from The Onion yet, you should watch it. I sent it out with the email invitation to the party.

Obama Win Causes Obsessive Supporters To Realize How Empty Their Lives Are

1 comment:

Heather said...

As I like to say "There aint no party like a Bluemlein party, cause a Bluemlein party don't stop"
! sounds super fun!