Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Rankest 2,000 Pound Bulls in the World

One thing I love about living in New York City is the fact that my regular day-to-day routine frequently takes me to places that are famous, household names. For example today I took the A train (made famous by the Ella Fitzgerald song) to Penn Station and walked past the great views of the Empire State Building to Madison Square Gardens where I had tickets to an event.

And if there's one thing better than Madison Square Gardens, it's Madison Square Gardens with the arena covered in 700 tons of dirt because it is the MOST magical time of the year--the weekend when the Professional Bull Riders Invitational is in town. That's right--despite Ford's financial difficulties they are still bringing to us this blessed, blessed event.

Having accidentally missed the show of the year in 2008, I was determined not to let it happen again. So my roommate and I donned our best cowgirl apparel and headed down (you can't tell from the picture, but yes, we most certainly are wearing boots and the biggest belt buckles in our collective closets).

The evening started with a pyrotechic display which (though you cannot tell from this picture) was truly worthy of "the most famous arena in the world" (yes, that is "NYC" written in flames)

Like any good gathering of cowboys, this event started with a prayer, including a blessing on the troops. The Star Spangled Banner was sung and we felt like bona fide Americans.

I love bull riding. I just really love it. It is the absolutely best. It brings me so so so so so much joy. The action, the drama, the suspense, the danger, the pure untapped masculine energy. I can't really think of what else to say about it. Except that there was a cowboy there named "Pistol."

Here is a brief YouTube clip of a Professional Bull Riding Event just to give you a little taste of how soul-shakingly wonderful the whole sport is

PS They even played "Thank God I"m a County Boy" right there in the urban center that is Madison Square Garden.

2 comments:

Heather said...

"Did you pay for the whole seat...and only used the edge?" Good job on the big belt buckle. And you know what I learned in college...wrangler butts, drive me nuts!

Happy Herrons said...

True - did you use the whole seat? Did Pistol win? How many categories were there? How big was the belt buckle? I think I am missing being a journalism teacher -sorry! I am SO glad you had fun!