Friday, April 3, 2009

"We're neither pure nor wise nor good ...

"...We'll do the best we know. We'll build our house and chop our wood and make our garden grow."

This profound truth from high school lit, re-manifested by Bernstein's take on Voltaire's brilliant truth has been on my mind today.



Now, compare that with the profound truth of Thoreau: "Go confidentially in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imaged."

Seemingly contradictory ideas, but I think that they actually fit together in a very very rich and meaningful way. Combine those two and I think you've pretty much got it figured out.

I've included the song around which these thoughts are based for your listening enjoyment. Bernstein sure knows how to throw down a tune.

1 comment:

Lisa H said...

WOW. Thanks for sharing. I think this is one of my favorite moments ever from musical theater. Thank you Voltaire and Leonard Bernstein!