Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The church building did not blow up. You're welcome.

Subtitle: If you smell something, say something.

So I decided to make the call to 311 who transferred me to 911 who transfered me to the fire department. Each time, clearly stating that I wasn't sure if this was a big deal or not, but just in case....

Next thing I know four (4) fire trucks (enough to fill a full avenue block), lights a-flashing, show up in front of the Union Square building with approximately 30-40 firemen (who are, interestingly enough, every bit as attractive as you'd expect them to be based on TV and the movies).

I was only able to flirt mildly because I was too busy being distressed by the fact FORTY firemen had showed up and, quite frankly, I was not sure the situation warranted such. I guess I had forgotten just how seriously NYC takes the threat of a possible gas leak (especially one coming from under the street I suppose).

After an extensive investigation into the situation, they gave me a figurative pat on the head, said "You did the right thing" and left one fire truck until the ConEd Emergency truck came, which was there for at least three hours.

So I pretty much feel like a hero. I'm trying not to let it get to my head.

4 comments:

Amber A. said...

Way to go Hollly! You probably saved lives. So proud. :)
Love you

Heather said...

Whoaa!!!! You are a life saver for sure!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting! I think the title of this blog should be "Holly Saves New York!"

Melissa said...

Yay, Hero! :)