Friday, October 3, 2008

A nice lazy evening at home

Subtitle: these are a few of my favorite things.

This may not be accurate, but I feel like i have not had an unscheduled evening for more than a month. And while I do love having a life so full of so many fun and exciting activities, I also love me some downtime. Since I was feeling fairly exhausted, I decided to skip my Hebrew class and have a nice, relaxing, lazy evening at home.

The first order of business upon arriving home, obviously, was to put on appropriate lounging clothes. Right now is the splendid season in New York when it starting to get a little chilly, but the supers have not yet turned on the heat. Once that happens, adios to wearing nice snuggly clothes because individual apartments can't control the heat and it gets HOT. Which is nice for getting to sleep with windows open and fans on in the middle of winter, but not nice for getting to wear comfy sweatshirts and turtlenecks at home. I put on my bright red SVSU Football hoodie which is great for such an evenings (but not, by the way, good for night games of capture the flag in Harlem if you're trying to blend in, as I learned from personal experience).

Then I decided to make a half batch of vegan chocolate pudding to test and see if it would be good enough for the Pudding Party on Sunday. (It was, especially with peanut butter! Yum!)

Then I decided to make peanut butter cookies.

Then I decided to eat some leftover curried potato carrot soup. I was standing in the kitchen, minding my own business, adding salt to my soup when all of the sudden the handle of the mug broke off and the mug fell to the floor sending soup everywhere--my face, the floor, the rug, the stove, the wall, the ceiling, and even the wall in the next room. And just so that the picture in your mind is accurate, please be aware that the carrots and potatoes involved in this soup were not cubed, they were shredded, which makes for a more interesting clean up process--too liquid-y to sweep, too solid-ish to mop. Since it was my designated lazy evening, I cleaned it up from the floor and rug, but left it on the walls and ceiling. Although as I sit here typing this I'm reminded of curry's staining ability (largely because I just spilled some of the same soup of my white blouse) I'm wondering if that delay was a good idea. Time will tell.

While cleaning the mess, I realized that with socks on the kitchen floor is perfect for sliding/dancing. So I did that for a bit, rejoicing in my lovely lazy evening.

Then I watched the end of the movie Scoop which turned out to be just as (pardon my French) stupid as it appeared it was going to be from the first 20 minutes I watched a week ago. But I had to finish it because I am in love with Hugh Jackman.

Then I watched part of the vice-presidential debate.

Then I watched the season premiere of Pushing Daisies. I love that show!!

Then I went to sleep.

I love my life.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

So I read your post and I can't get over the fact your learning Hebrew, wow Holly, you really do it all:) Oh, and do you have a bleach pen, It works on everything white!

Tricia said...

Hi Holly. I found your blog via Jessica and love reading it! :) I've been so inspired by various bloggers lately that I finally started my own this week.

Hope you're doing well.

candicetheresa said...

I just love you. And love this story. And am so glad that you had a lazy evening, though I am saddened your turtleneck days will not extend into your apartment throughout the winter. I do love a good hoodie.