Monday, June 9, 2008

Contra Dancing: a reasonable answer to most of society's ills

Subtitle: The Belle of the Ball


Saturday night I discovered what is sure to be my new all-time favorite thing in the history of the universe (by which I mean, a new hobby that I will enjoy very much): contra-dancing.

If you are like I was before 11:00 am on Saturday and have no idea what contra dancing is allow me to explain: It's pretty much Jane Austen style dancing only more rowdy. You and your partner stand in a line with about a dozen other couples and do a sort-of couples line dance. You keep coming back to your one partner, but eventually you dance with every fellow in the line. There is stomping and doosy-dooing, and most especially (my favorite favorite part!) swinging. Swinging is when and your partner (or neighbor, as the case may be) hold each other and spin around, using either small steps of pivoting on one foot. It is pretty much the best dance move ever. It's just like in the movies where it shows a person's face and the world is spinning behind them. Totally wonderful.

My evening of contra-dancing was practically perfect in every way. I went with my friend Nathan. We got there early enough that the band was playing ballroom-style music. I have not done any sort of ballroom dance in more than 5 years, but luckily Nathan knew all the basic steps and reminded me. We waltzed, and two stepped and even did a polka. I had forgotten how much I love to polka!! It was awesome!!! (Apparently in high school, Nathan and his friends use to sneak into a park late at night and polka dance. Why wasn't I cool like that as a teenage?)

Then the contra-dancing instruction began. The caller would go through and explain the dance before you started and then call instructions throughout. For the first half of the evening, I danced with Nathan and I think we did pretty darn good since we were both first-timers. The second half of the evening, I decided to share the wealth and dance with whoever. And let me just tell you--if getting married was still tied with a girl's ability to flirt while dancing, I would have gotten married at the age of 12. Apparently, I have the gift! I had a partner waiting for me at the end of every dance. I had to turn men down left and right. One guy even took a picture of me. It was lovely to be the belle of the ball.

Aside from being unbelievably fun, contra-dancing is such a better way to meet people then the form of dancing that is generally used today (as much as I also love the form of dancing that is generally used today AKA booty shaking). As opposed to standing akwardly in someone's arms making small talk, you are actively engaged in a fun activity which I think makes it easier to get to know someone even without talking. As opposed to being committed to just one partner for a long 5 minute stretch, you get to dance with all the other men around you and so they get to see how incredible you are. And the spinning is awesome.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Delightful! I want to try it...I wonder if they do it in Portland...

Tamara said...

how did you find this??

Happy Herrons said...

Go Holly! Flirt up a storm - you are AWESOME!

Sharon said...

It sounds like it would be a blast! Way to go!

Heather said...

That is my girl hitting her groove! Way to twirl it sister!

PocketCT said...

Yup first time I tried it I said to no one in particular "man this is so fun it ought to be illegal!"
I've been at it for a year and a half now and am just more hooked.

Maybe we'll see each other at Falcon Ridge....

Anonymous said...

I am hooked on contra dancing, too. It's the most fun a person can have in public!

Thanks for the read.
Jan